Taking care of DIY tasks around the house is incredibly satisfying and a great way to save money. But various jobs should be left to a professional to ensure they are carried out correctly. Some of these things carry a safety risk if improperly done, while for others, it’s easy to make an expensive mistake. Here we look at several jobs you may be tempted to attempt yourself and explain why bringing in a professional is better.
Electricity is dangerous when not dealt with very carefully, meaning even a small mistake in wiring can have fatal consequences. There are low-level jobs that are perfectly safe to undertake, such as changing the fuse in the plug of an appliance as they’re designed to be safely changed. However, a qualified electrician should undertake anything that involves wiring work. The likelihood of faults is vastly reduced, and issues will be covered by insurance, unlike if done by a layperson.
Using commercially available cleaning products, you can easily clean small spills and dirt marks. Even with regular vacuuming, over time, dirt becomes ground-in, causing discoloration and poor condition. Add stubborn stains, and you have flooring that needs help. You can try to thoroughly clean such carpets but get it wrong, and you’ll face an expensive replacement cost. Using a professional carpet cleaning company, you will have fresh, clean carpets without the risk.
The roof is essential for keeping a building watertight, get it wrong, and you can quickly find yourself dealing with water ingress issues. Water pooling in the roof cavity can collapse ceilings, affect electrics, and cause mold to grow in the walls. Spending the money to have professional roofers do the work will stop all these issues from occurring. Replacing a few broken tiles yourself probably won’t cause any significant problems, but you want to hire a roofing contractor for anything more substantial.
Toxic Building Materials Removal
If you live in an older house and suspect asbestos is present, you must NOT touch it and call a specialist removal company immediately. Previously asbestos was used in buildings due to its fire-retardant properties; unfortunately, it has since been found to cause cancer and is banned in several countries. Asbestos in building materials has many fine fibers that are inhaled easily, meaning no matter how carefully you try to remove it, you are at risk without the correct protective equipment.
Similarly, in older houses with lead paint, it’s advised not to try and remove this paint yourself. The levels of lead found in lead paint mean it takes relatively small amounts of paint dust to cause health problems. Having trained professionals use proper PPE is the safest way to remove lead paint.
By identifying the DIY projects that are safe and reasonable to undertake yourself, you can experience the satisfaction it gives. And by acknowledging when to have a professional do the work, you’ll save time and money and have the assurance that the work is undertaken safely and correctly.
Leave a Reply