The Type of Mattress That is Better for Older People
Regardless of age, a good night’s sleep is vital. However, it is even more so for the elderly because it helps restore the energy levels and heal any physical or cognitive damage. The recommended amount of sleep for them is anywhere between 7.5 to 9 hours. However, to achieve that, a comfortable mattress is of uttermost importance. So, what type of bed is better for older adults? Keep reading to learn more. We tell you about the top mattress types and benefits.
Memory Foam Mattress
In recent years, memory foam mattress has gained a lot of momentum, and it is exceptionally for people over the age of 50 because of its many features. Firstly, the memory foam evenly distributes your weight, which means the pressure points go down, and even if your partner moves in sleep, you can have an undisturbed one. Also, night sweats are a common problem in older women, so since memory foam keeps it a little warm, it is very suitable. Finally, this great mattress also provides pain-relief comfort and is allergy-friendly.
Innerspring is the most popular mattress because it has been around in the market for ages, and people are used to it. But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t beneficial. The coils ensure adequate ventilation; hence, it keeps you more relaxed at night. Also, if you are required to sleep on a firm mattress, this one is the best for you because as you grow older, a firm mattress helps support your back and ensures a good night’s sleep.
Latex mattress includes the benefits of a memory foam mattress but is a little firmer when compared. If you are suffering from any back problems, allergies, or are worried about overheating, then a latex mattress is the best choice. But that’s not all. The other advantages of latex mattress include;
- Low maintenance, which means you also don’t have to flip it over now and then
- It is eco-friendly
- The open-cell structure of the bed enables airflow, ensuring breathability
- If you buy a high-end latex mattress, it can last anywhere between 12 to 20 years
If you are someone who isn’t able to achieve complete comfort laying completely flat, then an adjustable bed is the right way to go. It also helps you quickly get in and out of bed. And finally, an adjustable mattress is also beneficial for seniors suffering from sleep apnea or acid reflux.
We cannot stress enough on how important a good night’s sleep is, especially for the elderly and a proper mattress is a catalyst that can help you achieve it. If you are still wondering about the importance of sleep, take a look at the plethora benefits below;
- You become more alert when awake
- Your attention and memory span goes up
- It helps you depend less on medicines
- It decreases symptoms of depression
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Helps stabilize your appetite
- Reduces risk of falling
- Happier lifestyle
Tips To Helps You Achieve Proper Sleep At Night
- Follow a schedule and try to remain active during the day
- Keep the light to a minimum when you are off to bed and ensure that your room is cool
- Consume a balanced meal every day
- Limit the intake of caffeine, sugar, and alcohol
- You can also try relaxing activities before you sleep, such as reading, bathing, or listening to music.
In conclusion, if you cannot fall asleep, don’t take it lightly and look for a proper solution. Making small adjustments in your diet and sleep environment can be beneficial. If you wake up feeling stiff or sore, then it is time to replace your mattress. Don’t neglect it as the right mattress helps you achieve the rest you need.