The development of mobile applications has come to the fore among all information technologies since their importance is really quite high and many companies choose a mobile application as the main tool for solving all the technical problems of a project or business. The statistics also confirm that the demand for mobile applications is also growing among consumers – many people prefer to perform all their actions using a mobile device rather than a computer, as it is much faster and the phone is always at hand. We are concentrating on multi-platform solutions as this method is really convenient and versatile.
With the development and transience of the IT space, it is important to always follow new trends and do not forget to update information and knowledge even in those areas in which you are a professional. That is why we have collected in this article the most important steps and created a guide to cross-platform app development.
The Difference Between Native and Cross-Platform App Development
Among the huge selection of programming languages, technologies, and platforms for creating applications, it is really difficult to choose just one. Pretty often the choice of the owners of large companies always stops at two options: native application development and cross-platform application development. We decided to make a comparative analysis so that our readers can catch the difference and understand for themselves which of the methods suits them best.
Native App Development
Native app development means a more personal and specific use that is only suitable for certain types of devices or operating systems. The main points that are important to know about the native method:
- Despite the individuality of the development, these applications still cover all the functions of the device: access to the microphone and camera, geolocation, voice dialing, and other technologies
- The time required to develop such an application is quite high, and the range of applications is very narrow.
- Application development will become quite costly
- Provides higher performance, more detailed and customized interface, faster operation speed
Cross-platform app development
Cross-platform development allows you to create applications that are universal and suitable for most devices, operating systems, and any other conditions. This is the opposite way, which is characterized by mass character and global audience coverage. The main points that are important to know about cross-platform development:
- The process is faster than in the case of the native way
- One programmer will be able to handle development for different platforms, and not several diversified specialists
- Such development requires less financial costs and, accordingly, is more liquid
- It is possible to use a variety of frameworks that further simplify and speed up the process of creating applications
Challenges in the Cross-Platform App Development Process
Of course, when viewed from a generalized format, we see both advantages and disadvantages for both methods. Nothing is perfect, and you need to understand that some moments can become obstacles for you. What challenges can you expect:
- Sometimes, due to code reuse, some components may be inconsistent, which can cause a number of problems.
- Any failures in work will always become a negative experience for users and there is a chance to lose part of the audience
- From a security point of view, cross-platform development is not the best option, especially if you work with customer data.
Benefits of Cross-Platform App Development
In contrast to the disadvantages, we also decided to highlight a number of advantages, which in most cases become more significant in the process of choosing a development method. Here are the main ones:
- The process of maintaining and supporting applications created in such a universal way also becomes universal, since it does not require any additional attention or detail.
- Easy integration and fast upload to the cloud. All data from such applications is quite easily compatible with any cloud storage, which also makes the process simpler and more convenient.
- As mentioned earlier, the investment in time, money, and effort is really small compared to other methods.
Summing up, it is worth noting that you should also base your choice on the needs and goals of the company, initial budgets, tasks that applications should perform, and many other aspects. After analyzing all the information, you can make the right choice towards one of the options.
Leave a Reply