Deciding what truck to get can be a tough decision. How do you know what to get? Follow these seven steps to choose the right truck for you.
Decide On A Budget
Trucks can be considerably more expensive than other vehicles. You’ll need to do the math and decide what a practical budget is for your purchase.
- The average price of a new truck is about $49,000.
- The average price of a used truck is roughly $30,000.
- What will your monthly payments look like?
- What option can you actually afford?
It’s important to understand what you can comfortably afford.
Consider What Size You Need
There are a few different things to consider when it comes to size. These questions will help you narrow your search and get what you really need.
- How many seats do you need?
- What are you going to be using it for?
- How long of a truck bed will you need?
- What size are you comfortable driving and parking?
- Will it fit in your garage?
When in doubt, bring the measuring tape.
Rent A Truck To See How You Like It
Consider renting a truck to get a feel for it and decide what kind you’d like to buy.
- You can rent a truck and have it dropped off wherever you are, so the experience is very convenient.
- This is also a great way to do an extended test drive on a model you’re considering buying.
- You can practice parking in your garage, driving your normal route, and make sure there won’t be any issues with the truck you’re considering.
After your rental is up, you’ll have a better idea of what to expect when you make your big purchase.
Decide If You Want New Or Used
If the price of a new truck is a little too steep, you should consider a quality, used truck.
- This will allow you to choose the make and model you want, at a much lower cost.
- Trucks are incredibly durable, so buying a used one isn’t an issue.
- Buying used will save you some money, which you can put into upgrading the truck.
Consult your budget and see what the best option is for you.
Pick Your Extras
There are lots of little extra details that make a vehicle feel right for you. Here are a few things to consider once your big decisions are made.
- What color do you want it to be?
- What extra safety features do you need?
- What performance features would you like?
- What kind of material do you want for the seats?
- What kind of tires do you want to put on it?
- Do you want any custom modifications?
The extras you choose give you a chance to express your personality and create more comfort.
Choose Where To Buy It From
Here’s what to be on the lookout for when you’re choosing a car dealership.
- How do their prices compare to their competitors?
- What perks do they offer?
- How is their customer service?
- Do they make you feel rushed?
- Do they have good options?
If you find yourself having doubts about a car dealership, go somewhere else. They’re everywhere so there’s no reason for you to put up with being pressured.
You’ve picked your truck, you’ve found your dealer, and you’re ready to buy.
- Make sure to bring your license and proof of insurance when you go to sign the paperwork.
- Read everything over carefully to make sure nothing has been changed.
- Sign your contract, grab the keys and go.
All that’s left to do is enjoy it.
Follow these seven steps and you’ll be in the right truck for you in no time. Happy travels!