A lot of work and commitment goes into renovating a home. You might be tempted to imagine that renovation is very cheap compared to building a new house. The truth is that you might end up spending a bit more than expected if you fail to plan well.
Homeowners renovate their house to fix the problems in it, for safety, comfortability, and generally to increase its value. Home remodeling may involve redecoration, extension, or redesigning the whole house. This article will guide you on a few things you should put in mind before starting the renovation process.
1. Your Budget
Renovating homes is quite expensive and time-demanding. Draft your budget and then open up to the contractor about what you want and the amount you can afford to work on your project. It might be challenging to stick to your budget, but it is necessary. While budgeting, it is wise to add contingency because of the unexpected.
How To Create A Budget for Home Renovation
- Prioritize renovation requirements. Write down everything you need in the renovation project and separate the needs from the wants.
- Create a plan with the estimated cost. After knowing your needs and wants, have a detailed plan which will help you to communicate exactly what you want to your contractor. Create a spreadsheet that should indicate your project and the estimated cost for everything.
- Request bids from different contractors. After knowing what you want and coming up with a budget, contact different contractors and compare their costs. Look at their reviews from previous clients and choose. Go for a contractor who will deliver quality work at an affordable cost. In case none of the contractors matches your renovation budget, cut down on the project or re-budget.
How To Save For Home Renovation
- Consider using refurbished items where possible, as long as they are in good condition.
- Paint the house by yourself. Professional painters may be a bit more expensive, save that cash.
- Manage your project. You don’t need to ask your contractor to interview subcontractors, do it yourself.
- Personally order the required materials. A contractor will charge you extra if they shop for those materials.
- Personally demolish what you can. For instance, if you need to renovate your kitchen, remove the cabinets by yourself.
2. Interview Different Contractors
Looking for a responsible contractor is a crucial task. The kind of contractor you go for will either improve or worsen the condition of your home. You need to invest in a good contractor, especially if you consider money and time banked in such a project.
The Kind Of Interview Questions To Ask A Contractor
- How Long They Have Been In Business. Go for a contractor who has been operating for several years. Carry out your research before the interview so as to have traceable records of the contractors you are interviewing.
- Do they have Contractor Licenses? Go for a contractor who has gone through the certification to work on your renovation project. Remember a license alone is not enough to prove that they are certified, dig deep to verify that.
- Do they have proper insurance? Opt for a contractor who has a certificate of insurance. Your choice of a contractor should have worker’s compensation and liability insurance for the type of project you want to be worked on.
- Can they obtain the permits required in the project? Opt for a contractor who knows the kind of permits required in your project and how to obtain them. Your contractor should be willing to process all that for your project.
- How long will the renovation project take? A good contractor should be very open on how long the project will take. Ask for the exact time frame, not approximations. The time frame should be realistic though. Agree on how you will be updated on the project’s progress.
- What is the payment schedule? Go for a contractor who agrees to work with your payment plan. You can agree to pay after certain stages of the projects are completed. Discuss the exact amount to be paid and on which dates. Trust is key here.
- How mistakes and disagreements will be handled. In every workplace mistakes and disagreements are bound to happen. Your contractor should be able to handle disagreements honorably.
- How additional charges will be dealt with. The home renovation process is so unpredictable. Opt for a contractor who agrees to work within the budget.
3. Prepare For The Unexpected
Not everything will go as planned during home renovations. Remodeling your house involves more than the smooth process displayed on television shows. The unplanned issues that come up can really burn through your budget. It might be a problem that has to do with your plumbing system, you may be required to purchase new gate valves to control the flow of water in your home or maybe new pipes since the old ones have burst. Visit dombor.com for a variety of plumbing valves.
How To Prepare For The Unexpected
- Come up with rules to direct the whole renovation process. Let your contractor know they must stick to the budget, there is no wiggle room.
- Leave some room for uncertainties in your budget.
- Be disciplined and patient in the whole process. Take time to draft a plan and look for a reputable contractor.
- Be specific on what exactly should be done during the renovation, the contractor should not be the one to decide on what to do.
- Research and plan carefully. Avoid the unexpected by spending more time planning and researching your project.
4. The Available Space
Don’t ask for designs that may not fit in your space. Your space should match your renovation goals. It is not wise to add an extra room in a space that is congested. That is a good idea of remodeling your house but it will only work well if you decide to expand your house.
5. Time Of The Year
If you are renovating inside the house, any time of the year will do. Outdoor renovations should be done during the winter season to avoid cases of rain messing up with the structures before completion.
No matter how many renovations you have done before, each will always come with its own uniqueness. Use the opportunity to improve your electricity and even water consumption. You can install solar lights to solve blackout and high bill issues. The above information will guide you on how to go about the whole renovation process.
Leave a Reply