When you fill out the Wyoming divorce forms, you clearly realize the upcoming changes and losses awaiting you in the nearest future. These are irreversible things you cannot alter, but what can be different is your attitude.
The first thing that is important is your knowledge. You should know what things you are going to lose, how you substitute them, what things are to be different, what things you can influence, what things you will have to accept. This self-preparation will help you to save your mental and physical sanity.
Many Things to Lose
Once you get divorce papers, you can understand how many things you are going to lose if not straight after the divorce than within the nearest time.
- Holidays and traditions – family holidays are special for most people because they celebrate them together in some unusual way. So, you will have to alter the celebrations to your new status and living conditions. More to this be ready for emptiness on wedding anniversaries, ex’s birthdays and other family occasions, lost together with marriage. Yet, with life moving on you will get new special dates to celebrate.
- Friends and family – eventually you will lose ties with some relatives and friends since some of them will follow your ex, while others will stay on your side. There is no point to feel guilty or offended since your mutual surrounding will take the side of the partner they are closer to. So, being left with the most loyal friends and relatives, you will gain the opportunity to get new better ties instead of unnecessary ones.
- Property – it is natural to lose some of your common property as well. There are high hopes that you have a fair share. Still, if you have to move out of the marital house, you will lose not only accommodation but memories as well. You may ask your partner to let you take some house decorations with you so you can keep part of the memories alive even living in a different place.
- Conflicts – these are the most pleasant things lose. You will get rid of the annoying habits of your partner, such as snoring or kitchen mess. Your brains will relax after years of routine conflicts. You will relish the freedom of deciding on your own, without orders and criticism of your ex.
- Memories – the most painful things to let go are memories. Some will evaporate along with your marriage since they were precious only when you had your ex to share them with. Some will be blackened with the burden of divorce, some will go away with time, being substituted with more relevant ones.
Your Marriage Was not a Mistake
The problem of memories being painful and damaging your future is your attitude to the marriage, divorce and the memories themselves.
- Wait for emotions to go – when you complete divorce packet online or attend divorce meetings offline your thoughts are jumbled, the routine is unorganized, emotions are boosting over the verge. This is not the right time to make some final conclusions, burn photos and get rid of the past. You should wait a little for emotions to settle down, for head to get cold and only then take some measures concerning your past, present and future.
- Take it as experience – you should realize that even though your marriage wasn’t successful, it wasn’t a mistake, not a waste of best years of your life, not unbearable shame or disgusting connection. It was your marriage, with all its ups and downs, pros and cons. It brought you a lot of experience, it taught you a lot of life lessons, it left you precious memories, best kids, unforgettable moments. You should feel grateful that it happened and get inspired by it to move on to your new life.
- Stay friends – the best way to get divorced and decrease the stress level for both sides is to do everything in an amicable way and stay friends with your ex. This will let you make the divorce more beneficial and get a friend who knows you the best of all and can back you up in hard times.
Make Your Choice
There are many ways to file a divorce online and offline suitable for everyone. But there is no unique guidance on how to deal with memories after divorce. You can get support and tips on multiple options but the final decision should be after you.
If the divorce was painful and left the hole in your heart and all things reminding you about your marriage and ex are killing you, you are free to burn your memories to ashes, change your location and erase your past completely. But if you managed to overcome the pain and sorrow, and feel a connection with precious moments of your past, it is completely normal to keep a little space in your heart for past memories, look through the photos from time to time, laugh at family jokes and so on. But get sure that it doesn’t invade your new life or your ex’s life.
Make the right choice and head on to happiness.
Greg Semmit has years of experience working with different types of legal documents and writing about Family Law for educational purposes. Currently, he is working at OnlineDivorcer company, where he writing blog articles about divorce and divorce cases. In his free time, he likes roaming the streets of New York with his Olympus taking photos of the best spots in the city.