The modern concept of learning differs from the learning concept before the Covid-19 reality. The virus sped up the development of many processes, including the concept of eLearning. It has shown effective results in new studying models and the development of new functions and tools. At the same time, Covid-19 contributed to corporate eLearning as well. Running online workshops and conferences or providing employees with online courses are just a few ways to develop professionally. That’s where corporate and educational eLearning come into play in today’s digital learning environment.
Being thirsty for knowledge makes both ways effective eLearning strategies. Learning virtually allows students or employees to study from anywhere at any time. Although corporate and educational eLearning have some features in common, they also have fundamental differences.
Corporate eLearning: its goal, features, and benefits
Corporate eLearning is focused on educating employees to ensure they have the required level of skills and proficiency to execute the operation. Hands-on work is what an organization needs to value its employees.
The goal of corporate eLearning is to teach employees the skills depending on an individual role of an employee. The result of corporate eLearning is to have a financial gain. To assess the success of corporate eLearning, executives usually set key performance indicators. Corporate training is an effective strategy from the long-term perspective.
Every organization should incorporate eLearning into its corporate environment. It improves the company’s reputation and ensures the employee’s trust.
Key features of corporate eLearning
Here we are going to overview some essential features of corporate e-learning. Let’s keep on reading!
- Career-oriented focus. Advancing employees’ skills is one of the tasks of corporate eLearning. Hence, enterprise learning is aimed at enhancing career development within the organization. To boost employees’ organizational processes, enterprises create eLearning opportunities inside the company.
- Fast-paced instruction. To achieve the maximum results from corporate training, organizations provide knowledge to their employees in a short time frame. In a modern world, time is a value, not money. Thus, organizations try to build the successful career future of every employee in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Industry-specific material. eLearning is an efficient tool in corporate training used to meet the diverse needs of industries. Every tech-savvy learner can find the knowledge that suits him/her the best. To deliver the correct training in a specific industry, eLearning should be evolved and transformed according to the needs of employees from various industries.
What are the benefits of corporate eLearning?
Corporate training provides major benefits to the organization. For example, eLearning makes it possible for the employees to learn at any time and any place. Also, eLearning provides a personalized and customized way to gain knowledge. One benefit of eLearning for the organization is its high efficiency. According to the research, it increases information retention by 25-60%. Investing in corporate eLearning is a sufficient initiative that helps to fill in employees’ skill gaps and boost performance. Moreover, providing corporate eLearning services gives your company a distinct advantage and increases its competitive edge.
Educational eLearning: its goal, features, and benefits
Educational eLearning is focused on transferring knowledge from educators towards students. Learning in the education sector is aimed to expand knowledge in different disciplines, e.g. studying mathematics or chemistry.
Key features of educational eLearning
Let’s take a closer look at some crucial features of educational eLearning.
- General scope. eLearning in the educational sector is powered by the general scope of subjects, such as literature, languages, math, etc.
- Theoretical knowledge. One of the essential features of education in eLearning is to gain theoretical knowledge, instead of practical experience.
- Information quantity. eLearning in the education sector is geared toward sharing the quantity of information, and not the speed of knowledge transfer.
To assess success during academic eLearning, there are test scores and reports.
What are the benefits of educational eLearning?
Educational eLearning helps students find their communication style and develop social networking. Academic eLearning gives an opportunity to meet like-minded people that will become their friends in the future. One of the core benefits of educational eLearning is the development of professional skills. Higher education provides necessary training and allows students to develop skills in a particular area of study that will advance their career path.
Corporate vs Educational eLearning: What’s the main difference?
Let’s look at some of the key differences between corporate and educational eLearning.
- Corporate eLearning is concentrated on training, while education is focused on the learning process through natural curiosity. Corporate eLearning is powered by learning particular skills and gaining practical knowledge, while education has a more theoretical implication.
- One of the fundamental differences between corporate and educational eLearning is the primary goal of both contexts. The goal of educational eLearning is to get the global scope of knowledge, while corporate eLearning is powered by business needs.
- The result in corporate and educational eLearning is different as well. Compared to academic eLearning where reports and test scores are the results of the performance, key performance indicators serve to assess success during corporate eLearning. To measure the success of the learning activities, enterprises calculate return on investment (ROI). At the same time, it is a long-term perspective in the educational concept, where it is hard to calculate ROI and measure its effects.
Corporate vs Educational eLearning: What do they have in common?
Here we are going to explore some core similarities between corporate and educational eLearning.
- One of the crucial shared traits between educational and corporate eLearning is having an engaging experience. Online interaction and various multimedia options create an effective learning environment. It is convenient because users can interact remotely, freeing up their schedules.
- Both academic and business eLearning use the Internet to enhance activities in an educational environment and corporate training. The Internet creates a virtual presence that is an effective tool in both contexts.
- Natural curiosity can generate the inner potential of a person to gain new knowledge in both the corporate arena and educational environment. Hence, it is important to develop natural curiosity by providing eLearning opportunities.
- Corporate and academic eLearning are both determined at providing online efficient learning solutions that have fast setup options and a simplified eLearning approach. Creating an online learning management system from scratch will help users to find innovative learning approaches to drive their performance level and will enrich their skill set.
Technological breakthrough powered all the processes during the year spent in COVID-19 reality. It influenced the learning concept as well. The virus changed corporate and educational eLearning and accelerated the knowledge transfer. Corporate and academic eLearning have some shared traits, such as using the Internet to enhance performance, the engaging eLearning experience, and natural curiosity to drive the passion for learning.
However, business and academic eLearning have fundamental differences as well, including the various measure systems of the eLearning result, different primary goals, and distinct eLearning focus. eLearning in the corporate world and academic environment should use an individual approach to acquiring new skill sets and knowledge that will benefit both enterprises and people.
Alexey Kutsenko is CMO at DDI Development company, which provides custom web & development services to clients worldwide. Alexey has vast experience in building marketing strategies for various clients, defining the client’s needs, and leading digital marketing strategies in the company.