Today, there’s a debate going on in the software development industry—who should I choose between a software development company and freelance software developer? Well, there’s no definite answer to this question. However, several factors will influence your decision.
To have a better view of each option, let’s look at the pros and cons of software development company and freelancers. This should help you to make the right choice for your upcoming software development project.
Typically, freelancers are self-employed people, who are hired to perform certain tasks. Freelancers don’t handle long-term projects. When hiring freelance software developers, you can consider them as independent contractors. Thus, their contracts can be project-based, monthly, or hourly based.
Pros of hiring freelancers
- Flexibility – one thing with freelancers is that they can work at any time. Software companies have a fixed schedule, whereas freelancers don’t. Their main object is to complete their work as soon as possible, so they don’t mind working for long hours.
- Affordable – a freelancer will not charge you for overhead costs, unlike software development companies.
- Quick delivery – because of their flexibility, and ability to work for long hours, freelancers will get your job done very fast.
- Expertise – most freelancers are experts in certain areas, while others are all-rounded software developers. So, you should be assured that an expert is handling your project.
- Quality issues – freelancers tend to handle a lot of projects at a time. This can lead to quality issues, especially when the freelancer is working to complete multiple projects at once.
- Lack of availability – at times, your preferred freelancer will not be available at the time you need their services. So, you might have to choose another person, or wait, which might delay your project.
- Confidentiality – this is one of the biggest issues of hiring freelancers. When you hire a freelance software developer, the privacy of your confidential information might be at risk.
- Lack of continuous maintenance – once the freelancer is done with your project, they will hand over everything to you, and move on to the next client. Now, in case you need maintenance, you will have to search for another developer, which might be costly.
Software Development Company
Software development companies such as Entrance Consulting have a team of dedicated, highly-qualified, and experienced professionals. These professionals are experienced in different areas of software development. Moreover, software development companies offer all-inclusive services, from pre-development to post-development. This is one of the greatest benefits of hiring a software development company.
- Access to new technologies – software development companies aims to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in the industry. As a result, they will always use the latest programming languages in their projects.
- Long-term engagements – software development companies like building trust with their clients, and dealing with them for a long-term basis.
- Service packages – when you hire a freelancer, you will need them for a certain task. However, software development companies offer an all-inclusive service, from consultation to business analysis, as well as evaluating ideas. This is very helpful for start-ups.
- Quality assurance – for purposes of building a good reputation, software development companies take good care of their clients. Moreover, they are process-oriented and provide quality services to their clients.
- No legal problems – professional software development companies are legal entities. That means they are very stable. However, the legality of freelance software developers is very questionable.
- Maintenance – today’s world keeps on changing, so do customers’ demands. Thus, regular and consistent updates are essential. software development companies will assist you with the installation and configuration of your software. Moreover, because of their long-term engagement, they will also help you with regular support and updates. This will ensure the efficiency of your applications and websites.
This is the only realistic downside of hiring a software development company. Hiring a software development company will cost you a bit more than a freelance developer. However, the cost of your project will depend on many variables, like the region of the company, as well as the experience of the team.
There’s no definite answer to who to choose. There are numerous factors that will affect your ultimate choice, including the scope of the project. Although freelance developers are flexible and provide lower rates, they don’t have access to modern technologies. What most people don’t know is, software development companies are cheaper in the long run.
Please note that you should choose a contractor whose expertise and experience suits our needs. Never make your decision based on the cost quoted by the developer. Lastly, you must ensure that your interests are protected, especially when it comes to legal concerns and intellectual property.