Gangtok is one of the popular hill stations that has carved a niche in many people’s lives. Home to the snow-covered mountains that overlook lush valleys, it sure is a bewitching sight for all tourists. Further, Gangtok is rich in flora and fauna, giving you ample opportunities to indulge in your likes. The sights of Gangtok paint a paradise-like feel, which is awe-inspiring and hence thousands of tourists flock to this place each year. And in case you are one amongst them, here we present a list of the best sightseeing places which are sure to give you a lifetime of memories. Read on.
- Nathula Pass- A great sightseeing location that should definitely be on your list while planning your Gangtok package, is the Nathula Pass. Perching at a whopping height of 14450 feet, above sea level, the Pass offers splendid views. The mountainous pass is a natural beauty and gives a panoramic view of the entire region. In winters, the area gets covered in snow blankets and becomes a brimming place for indulging in sports activities. You can also see the international border here which is in tight security and requires a permit to visit. Overall, Nathula pass is a great sightseeing spot that promises you some amazing capture
- The Khangchendzonga National Park- A UNESCO world heritage site, the Khangchendzonga National Park is a biosphere reserve that is beautifully located in the heart of the majestic Himalayan mountains. The highlight of the park is that it encapsulates the third highest peak- Mount Kanchenjunga, very nicely in its premises. It boasts of picturesque background with valleys, glaciers, plains, and forests that have varieties of flora and fauna giving it an enriched feel. The alpine landscape in particular is breathtaking. Wildlife lovers will get a chance to view snow leopard, musk deer, and Tahr. The Park is famous for trekking and taking photographs owing to its amazing views. A very unique park, you can easily enjoy quality time here with your family and loved ones.
- Saramsa Garden- A great recreational place, Saramsa Garden is ideal for those who wish to have a laid-back, fun time, picnicking with their friends and family. Located at an approximate distance of fourteen kilometers in the beautiful slopes of Pk Yong and Gangtok, the garden is pure bliss to look at. It is home to a variety of flowers, orchids, and medicinal plants. The garden is also famous for the name Ipecac Garden as it encapsulates medicinal plants of various types. Saramsa finds its place in the list of popular spots amongst people of all age groups. Enjoy the canopy of trees, as you relax in the fresh nature.
- Banjhakri Falls in Energy Park- Stretched in the span of two acres, the energy park is a great destination to revel and have a good time. The Park sports many statues and sculptures that depict the ethnicity and rituals of the Sikkimese tribes of the Jhakri culture which is wonderful. In fact, many of the folktales have been caricatured in the format of statues and people visit here to get a knowledge of their unique cultures. Another attractive point of the park is the Banjhakri fall which is about 100 feet high and is a pleasure to look at. Tourists can take a plunge and bathe in the refreshing waters creating a memory for themselves.
- Tashi Viewpoint- One of the best sightseeing destination spots in Gangtok is that of the Tashi. Named after king Tashi Namgyal who in fact, built this area, it stands as a great place for viewing the snow-covered magnificent Kanchenjunga mountains and other ranges such as Mt. Siniolchu. You can easily take some shots, and capture the memories of the scenic beauty forever. Apart from the mountain range, Phodong and Labrang monasteries can also be viewed from here ensuring you gulp down their beauty in one spot. A very serene space, Tashi viewpoint is a must-visit, once you are in Gangtok.
- Himalayan Zoological Park- A wildlife lover’s paradise, the Himalayan Zoological Park, is a great sightseeing destination. Spread across two hundred and five acres of land, it is one of the first zoological parks in this area that replicates the natural habitat in one of the most spectacular ways. While strolling your way here, you can get a good look of Himalayan Palm civets, back bears, clouded leopards, red pandas, and the crimson horned pheasant. Driving through the well-sculpted areas is one of the best ways to gaze through all the animals. If you want to get insight into the Himalayan fauna in its unadulterated form, this is your go-to place.
- Tsomgo Lake- A glacial lake that speaks of ethereal beauty is the Tsomgo. Beautifully located at a distance of close to forty kilometers from the main city, the Tsomgo lake is pristine and a feast for the eyes. It keeps changing color with the seasons, which makes it a unique feature. Further, the lake is surrounded by colorful plants that add to its beauty. It is a great place to just sit and observe the lake. You can also witness the well-decorated mules and yak’s that keep strolling near the clear lake. It also serves as a great spot for capturing pictures and hence is chosen by many honeymooners Visit: Best Snow Chains for Tires.
- Rumtek Monastery- Want to get a sneak -peek into the Tibetan culture? Then you must surely visit the Rumtek Monastery. Located at a height of 4900 feet, it is one of the largest monasteries on the premises. As you enter the hall, you can witness the buddhist’s trademarks in the form of art and architecture. 1001 golden images of Lord Buddha are embossed in one area, which marks it as a great attraction. Many of the teachings of Buddhism are also encrypted here in the walls, and one can also buy books to delve deeper into them. A visit to the monastery will help you understand the fabric of Tibetan culture and hence has been voted as a must-visit place as per our Thrillophilia reviews.