When it comes to purchasing a bride’s mother dress, many things are considered and kept in mind. As it is not only an important day for the bride but the mother as well.
This also accounts for a certain number of responsibilities for the event. Where there was uniformity in mother of the bride’s dresses and duties for the event in the past, the trends have taken a shift in recent years..
Over the decades, with various changes in fashion trends, the brides’ mothers can now freely express their sartorial sensibilities. Designers and brands these days provide you with the correct what, when and, how of the mother of bride dress shopping.
You can also check out the designer mother of the bride dresses by Jovani for more information regarding MOB shopping. The current article will discuss a few of the essential things considered while shopping for the mother of the bride dress and her responsibilities at the event.
Using the Bride as the Guide for your Attire
The bride plays a starring role in the event, so following her cues regarding the style, color, and formality of the dress can be very helpful. It may be a formal themed or casual themed wedding, depending on the couple’s choice. Since the mother is an essential person of the event, she must look like it.
Taking Color Cues from the Event
It is best recommended to wait for the bride to select her bridesmaid dresses before you shop for your clothing. This will allow you to opt for a dress with harmonizing hues or matching undertones. Variations are also acceptable for keeping the dress distinct.
Let’s discuss an example to understand. If the bridesmaids are going for grey dresses, you can opt for a black one. This is again not necessary as mentioned earlier you can choose a dress with a different color as well.
Using the Venue as your Guide
Where the theme of the event will act as your guide for the dress, the venue also plays a role in it. The attire will vary in a church themed wedding and a beach-themed ceremony. Therefore, use the forum as a part of your guide to purchasing the dress.
Timing is Important
When shopping for the mother of the bride’s dress, timing plays a crucial role. According to experts, it is best recommended for the mother to purchase her dress around three to six months before the event. By doing this, you are giving yourself enough time to find a dress that you are comfortable in and will suit your taste.
This will also allow you to have enough time for alterations and any special orders. Ensure you keep your comfort a priority as it will be a busy day for you, and you will not want to tire yourself out early.
Looking for the Correct Place to Purchase your Dress
You can look for your dress in both departmental and specialty stores. A lot of stores offer dresses for the mother of the bride as well along with the bride’s attire.
Experts recommend consulting a specialty store when buying your dress. Specialty stores are known to offer more options and personalized attention while purchasing the mother of the bride dress.
Consulting the Groom’s Mother
The bride’s mother can also share her choices and preferences with the groom’s mother. This will help the groom’s mother in any special orders and alterations as well.
Although the dresses don’t need to be a match, they should complement each other unless it is what the couple wants. This can be considered somewhat necessary as the mothers, as mentioned above, are also an essential part of the event.
According to certain wedding etiquettes, the mother of the bride gets to shop for her dress first. This again is not necessary, and both mothers can also shop together. This will help in much better coordination while purchasing the apparel.
Modifying the Search Terms
While you can go from store to store to purchase a dress for your child’s wedding, you can also look them up online, or much better, you can be creative in this regard. Just make sure the search terms you are using for the design you seek are not too conventional. Using different and more specific terms will broaden your options to select from to style your dress.
Some Responsibilities of the Mother for the Event
The bride’s mother is not just an important member but generous emotional support and a well of wisdom. Where she served the purpose of being an amazing mother throughout the child’s life, she’ll also make sure to do her best at their wedding too with the help of her experience and advice.
- The bride’s mother helps out the couple in checking the different ceremony and reception sites. She may accompany you to the sites as well and consult other friends and acquaintances regarding the venue.
- She can also help the bride with the guest’s list by compiling and limiting the guest number to a manageable amount. The mother can also consult with the groom’s side in finalizing the guest list.
- The mother puts an input in the ceremony by adding certain events that seem necessary and will also help you plan the sequence of events in a manageable way. If the child wishes to add any formal occasion to the wedding, none other than their mother can advise and guide them the best regarding the event.
- She will also help in planning and implementing any pre-wedding events that you wish to hold. The mother herself can also hold the event for you if she wishes to do so.
- She will also act as a reception host and welcome the incoming guests, and bid goodbye to the leaving guests at the beginning and end of the event.
- If the mother has planned a wedding before, she will offer the best advice when the child wishes to plan their wedding.