For many students, writing an essay remains the most unfavorable part of the academic process. However, perhaps you do not like to write an essay because you do not know how to do it properly? Together with the Essaybulls service that can write a paper for you, we have prepared a guide on writing essays. You just have to follow the structure and omit the most common mistakes made in this type of work.
Structure and Plan of an Essay
The essay’s requirements determine its structure:
- short theses are the representation of the author’s thoughts and ideas on the issue;
- arguments follow the theses – they are the evidence supporting the writer’s idea.
What are the arguments? There are well-known facts, situations from life, scientific evidence, opinions, and points of view of famous people, scientists, statistics, or experiments. As one argument is not reliable and convincing enough, the author should always provide perhaps two supporting arguments. At the same time, we don’t want an essay to turn into “War and Peace” by Leo Tolstoy, so you should not overload your work with more than two pieces of evidence to every thesis. An author must always remember that an essay should be descriptive and brief.
As a result, we can see a certain circular composition in an essay. If you wonder about the sizes and amount of paragraphs and theses, it always varies. The size and number of your arguments are up to the topic of your work. You should also take into account the consistency of thought development and your outline.
In general, the structure of an essay looks like this:
- thesis, arguments;
- thesis, arguments;
- thesis, arguments;
You should also consider these issues when working on an essay:
- The first and last paragraphs must center around the main problem.
- Make sure you highlight each paragraph and use linking words to establish cohesion and coherence between paragraphs: this is how the work’s integrity is achieved.
Thus, when writing an essay, it is significant to define (understand) its theme. You should think of the leading idea and the size of each paragraph.
Your essay must start with the main idea. Or you can start it with a catchy phrase. The task is to capture the attention of the reader (listener) immediately. In order to achieve this, you can start with a metaphor, a comparative allegory, or a bright epithet that illustrates the common life occasion which can be combined with the main theme of the essay.
Mistakes when Writing an Essay
Unlike tests, essays do not involve the format of multiple-choice. Unless you are at a state test, you should not be limited in time when it comes to performing this task. You can even read it out loud to your family and ask for pieces of advice to rewrite it later. Don’t neglect these opportunities and make sure you don’t make the following mistakes:
- Don’t overload the essay — They think that complicated words from encyclopedias make them look smarter and can help achieve better results when writing an essay. However, a situation when you use the word in a wrong connotation just because it sounds smart is more ridiculous than using simple words. You can easily distract the reader from the main idea and fail in achieving the desired results. Bad check — Don’t think you can limit yourself to spell check. While re-reading your work, imagine that a stranger will read it who may not understand your unsuccessful twists or unsuccessful usage of figures of speech.
- Verbalization — Whether you like it or not, but an essay has a certain limit of words that determine its size. When you have just 500 words, there is no time to use poor ideas and even steal other people’s thoughts. It is better to use one strong idea of your own than mentioning the cliched theses or statements that have been copypasted all over the Internet. You risk distracting the reader of your essay from the essential topic and not getting an A.
- Tiresome forewords and not enough details — It frequently happens that a fascinating essay seems to lose out as it was turned into a simpling listing out the theses with arguments. Moreover, students often tend to use the same tiresome cliches in giving examples. It’s always about the importance of education, the same quotes, etc.
- Long phrases — The longest sentence in the world consists of 13,955 words. However, you should forget about this number when it comes to writing an essay. Don’t let the size of a sentence misguide you. The fewer words you use to express your idea and persuade the reader, the better writer you are. If you still have long sentences and phrases, try to interchange them with shorter ones and vice versa. How do you understand that an essay is too overloaded with long, boring sentences? You can try reading it to yourself. If you are out of breath before the sentence is finished, you should break it into two or more, each conveying a finished thought. When you’re done writing an essay, do this exercise. Transfer the size of each paragraph into letter where S is for short, M is for medium, or L is for long. S — less than ten words, M — less than 20 words, L — 20 or more words. A correct essay has the following or similar letter order — M S M L M S. The incorrect essay is characterized by this sequence of letters — S S M L LL.