Wood is a noble material for different decorations and designs. You are here because you decided to learn how to start woodworking. I’m going to discuss the key points needed to get you started and I believe this article will make it easy for you to understand, so you can see woodworking as a hobby.
Finding a Location:
You don’t need an expensive workshop to get started. A lot of folks assume woodworking cannot be done without a pricey workshop, that’s not true. Start your woodworking profession in the locations discussed below
- A dedicated backyard: If you have some space left in your backyard, you can arrange a workshop table in your yard. Get the necessary tools such as a router, jigsaw, drill, etc, and get started with woodworking (My website link please remove the bracketed text when publishing) in the comfort of your home.
- Garage: If you have a garage, I will recommend that you take advantage of that by making a room there since you won’t have to take it down and set up each time.
- Backyard shed: When I started woodwork, I made use of my backyard shed and utilized the plywood and sawhorses. Your backyard shed can make a good woodworking workshop, you can make an apartment with a miter saw on the apartment patio and start working without spending money on location.
Decide What Types Of Woodwork You Want To Do:
Woodworking involves carrying out different activities and making diverse kinds of pieces from wood, this includes:
- Fine Woodworking: This is the art of creating aesthetically pleasing objects from wood. You can venture into fine woodworking by making decorative and functional objects such as furniture items, sculptures, and boxes. Fine woodworking is usually done with chisels, planes, and saws, this depends on the project.
- Woodturning: You can decide to do woodturning, which is the craft of using a wood lathe or rotary machine with hand-held woodturning tools to create items of a different form from wood. A woodturner can make different woodturning items on the lathe such as candlesticks, egg cups, knitting needles, pens, etc.
- Wood Carving: I’m sure you would love to be a woodcarver; wood carving is a fun part of woodworking. It includes any kind of sculpture in wood and carving shapes into pieces. Wood carving is one of the oldest forms of woodworking for architectural decorations and it’s an art you can do for fun and money.
- Joinery: Can you guess what this is from the name? It’s one of the basic forms of woodworking. It involves joining two pieces of wood together in a solid fashion. There are many varied types of wood joinery used by a woodworker, such as basic butt joint, tongue, and groove joint; the type of joint used depends largely on the project.
- Cabinetry: Cabinetry is the craft of making a quality wooden cabinet. It is one of the best concepts of woodworking you can venture into. Making a cabinet in homes is a money saver. You can earn a living as a woodworker who makes cabinets for sale.
- Furniture Making: Here’s a woodworking concept that can yield a ton of useful items. Most people are users of furniture items, you can have fun, spend your time productively and earn a living by venturing into furniture making.
6 Must-Have Tools For A Woodworker
- A Router: As a Woodworker, you need a router in your workshop; it is used for making holes and digging or drilling out materials. Routers are usually handheld or mounted on router tables. There’s also a CNC router however they are expensive.
- A Circular Saw: Here’s a tool needed for cutting wood in the workshop. A circular saw maybe hand-held or mounted to a machine. A woodworker can use circular saws to cut straight lines that cannot be achieved by other power saws.
- A miter/table Saw: This is used for making a quick and accurate crosscut in a wood at a selected angle. You can press the wood for a straight cut with its flat edge guide.On the other hand, a table saw is a power tool that consists of a circular saw blade used for cutting wood. These tools are essential in a woodworking workshop to make the job easy.
- Jigsaw: A woodworker who wants to cut irregular curves cannot do without a jigsaw. It has reciprocating blades used for cutting countertops, making decorative wooden patterns. You can cut curves and make a plunge with a jigsaw which may not be achieved by other tools.
- Drill: A drill is one of the essential tools needed by a woodworker, it’s a machine used for making round holes or driving fasteners in a wood. If you want to become an effective woodworker, a drill is a tool you can’t do without.
- Combination Square/Measuring Tape: In woodworking, measuring and transferring measurement is important for accuracy. A combination square is a multi-purpose measuring and marking tool used in woodworking. It is also expedient to have a measuring tape used for measuring the size and distance of one piece to the other. You need to know how to read a measuring tape to make precise measurements and cuts.
Starting as a Woodworker is easy if you have the necessary tools and knowledge required. If you are not familiar with the tools discussed in this article, take out time to watch their usages and applications on YouTube. I hope you have learned what you need to become a Woodworker. It will take time to figure it out, but it’s worth the time. Don’t stop at reading this article, choose a woodworking project, and swing into action.