It’s no doubt that oversized beds are interesting especially if you have a big family. If you are interested in purchasing your first big mattress or you’re just someone who’s very interested in it, then you are on the right page!
Yup, larger mattresses really exist, but they are sold by a few vendors only.
Fun Fact: Did you know that 60% of dog owners share their beds with their pets? With this, more and more fur parents are considering getting an oversized mattress.
There are a couple of factors in choosing a big bed depending on how you plan on using it. Some factors include the number of people in your family, how tall you/they are, and how big is your room.
And if you’re looking for an easy-to-follow guide on choosing the right oversized bed for you, then read on below.
Choosing an Oversized Bed
- Estimate how much you can move around once the bed is in
- Ensure you have at least 2 feet of space on either side of any bedroom furniture as a rule of thumb
- Take measurements as larger mattresses are difficult to fit on doorways
- See how many people will need to carry the bed
- Communicate well with the seller as oversized sheets and mattress pads are hard to find
- Some items need to be custom-made as well
- Know that oversized beds costs higher than standard sizes ranging from $1,500 up to $6,000
- Have a careful consideration before deciding on the bed that you like to purchase
- See how many sleepers will share your oversized bed
- Consider each person’s (or pets’) sleeping position
Height of the Sleepers
- Smaller people can choose mattresses with less length
- Taller people might prefer the longer ones
- Determine how many people the bed can accommodate
- See how many sleep positions are possible as well
So, do you think you’re ready to choose?
If yes, then below are oversized bed sizes that you can pick from. We have included their pros and cons for you as well to have a better overview of what to get!
The List of Oversized Mattresses
Wyoming King Bed
Size: 84″ x 84″
Recommended Room Dimensions: 12′ x 12′
Often hailed as one of the smallest oversized mattresses. The Wyoming King can fit a couple that has a small child. Also, it could provide increased space for two adult sleepers.
- Best for tall single adults or couples
- Suitable for large sleepers
- A great option for small families
- More costly than the large size standard beds
- It May not accommodate a lot of sleepers
Texas King Bed
Size: 80” x 98”
Recommended Room Dimensions: 12′ x 14′
The Texas King Bed is slightly wider than the standard king size, but it’s very much longer—best suited for tall people who prefer to stretch out a lot. It’s also recommended for people who sleep with pets at the foot side.
- Best for families without wide bedrooms
- Can accommodate tall people comfortably
- Very narrow
- Cannot fit more than 1 or 2 kids
California King Bed
Size: 72” x 84”
Recommended Dimensions: 12’ x 12’
This is an oversized bed that is closest to the common standard King size. This bed can fit a kid or a baby and could also be best for couples who just want to have extra space while sleeping.
- Best for extra sleeping space
- Consumes less space than other oversized beds
- Difficult to find accessories
- Bulky and may be harder to move around
Alaskan King Bed
Size: 108″ x 108″
Recommended Dimensions: 14′ x 14′
This bed is known as the most famous of all oversized beds. This can smoothly accommodate families that like to sleep together and is also known to be the longest oversized mattress there is. This bed is also long enough for taller people (and they can even stretch!)
- Excellent for co-sleeping families
- Great for tall people
- 2 adults won’t disturb each other when sleeping
- Most expensive of all oversized beds
- Requires a very huge space
The Family Bed XL
Size: 144″ x 84″
Recommended Room Dimensions: 17′ x 12′
The biggest bed size in the market to date, a Family Bed XL is the size of two California King Beds. This is specially made to accommodate multiple adults, as well as pets.
- Can be broken down into 5 pieces
- Extremely big and comfortable
- Can be very expensive
- Customization takes a lot of time
Whether you’re very tall, have a big family, or are just someone who wants a huge sleeping space, we absolutely believe that getting an oversized mattress is a smart move for you in the long haul.
Just make sure you’re patient with the measurements, customizations, and the wait time to have them delivered to your room.
Leave a Reply