If you plan to relocate to Texas, whether for business, to live closer to family or friends, or just because you want different scenery, this massive state has a lot of amazing things to offer. With both wide-open areas and busy metropolitan cities, there is something for everyone in the Lone Star State.
However, you need to handle several tasks before you move. Below are five of those that rank as the most important.
Register Your Vehicle and Transfer Your Driver’s License
To drive in Texas, you will need to get your car registered in that state. For this, visit your local Department of Motor Vehicle office. There, a representative will guide you through the process. Just come prepared with required documentation such as a valid driver’s license, your current car registration, and a copy of your car insurance.
Depending on where you currently live, you might also need to bring a title in your name only, unless your significant other on the title goes with you to the DMV. A passed safety inspection is another document the DMV might require to register your vehicle in Texas.
While there, you can also transfer your driver’s license to your new state. Combined, these processes are relatively easy, quick to complete, and there is only a nominal fee to have them done.
- Choose a New Family Doctor
The very thought of seeing a new doctor might feel a bit overwhelming. Especially if you spent years seeing the same physician, making a transition is tough. Before you start an extensive search, ask your current medical professional if they can recommend someone in Texas. After all, doctors commonly network throughout the country so, it never hurts to ask.
If you strike out there, and you have trusted family or friends living in Texas, ask them for referrals. However, if that is not an option, you can always contact the insurance company that provides your health care coverage.
Another option is to use online tools that help people, just like you find a new health care provider when moving to a different state. One of the best is the American Medical Association’s, Doctor Finder. Give yourself ample time to find a new doctor in Texas, especially if you receive specialized care.
- Familiarize Yourself
Regardless of where in Texas you plan to move, spend time becoming familiar with what the city and community offers. You might start with the necessities, including the location of hospitals, dry cleaners, automotive repair shops, utility companies, dog groomers, and so on.
From there, you can branch out to other things. For example, if you love to jog or hike, search for trails and parks close to your new home. If you enjoy the Fine and Performing Arts, learn about the various theaters, clubs, and other venues in the city.
Even researching the weather, history, culture, food specialties, and more will help you acclimate. Knowing about your new surroundings before arriving will make it easier for you to settle into your Texas home.
- Hire a Reputable Moving Company
This is the one thing you probably dread the most, yet it is among your top priorities. With so many moving companies, all claiming to offer the best services for the lowest rates, choosing the right one is not always easy. To simplify this process, look for movers that meet the following criteria.
- Solid Reputation – Along with referrals, a reputable company has a history of providing outstanding services. Read written reviews by past customers, check for an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and see if moving companies are in good standing with leading industry organizations.
- Fully Protected – Any moving company worth your consideration must have a current business license and top-of-the-line insurance.
- Customized Solutions – Everyone who moves to a different state has specific needs. So, make sure the movers can offer you a customized solution. For instance, in how to ship a car, do they have a solution if you have more than one or you plan to fly to Texas? Fortunately, many of the top movers can help with this. However, if you like a particular mover that does not include car-shipping as an option, there are plenty of businesses that specialize in this service.
- Competitive Rates – A lot of people believe that to get excellent services from a moving company, they have to pay a premium price. In truth, you can find affordable services provided by hard-working, honest, and dedicated movers. Yes, price is an important factor but do not base your final decision on this alone.
Take Care of Your Car Insurance Needs
If you have your auto insurance with a national company, more than likely, you can simply transfer your policy to a Texas agent. By doing so, you will likely pay the same premium, although that is not guaranteed. On the other hand, if you have coverage with an independent insurer, you will need to secure coverage so that you have it when you arrive at your new home.
To confirm that you have optimal yet affordable protection with an existing policy for Texas or for entirely new coverage, the smartest thing you can do is compare car insurance in Texas. That way, you have everything needed right in front of you to make a well-informed decision.