The secret behind hiring the right DUI attorneys is in the question you ask them. Whether you are caught Driving under Influence (DUI) or High Blood Alcohol Content (BAC), the charges against you will be taken seriously by the court. In fact, the penalties for these types of cases are generally two-fold.
The criminal lawsuit justice system moves faster than a civil lawsuit. Hence, you need to find a DUI attorney the moment you are accused of DUI. If you are finding it hard to find the right DUI lawyers, Chris Chaney DUI attorney might help you.
Most of the time, attorneys are willing to meet you in person and talk about the case before your both can deal with the deal. This is the best time to ask them questions that will help you understand just how knowledgeable they are or whether they are capable enough to get your justice.
Questions To Ask Your DUI Attorney
After you have got their name of the attorney, call them to set an appointment with them. Your goals for the meeting are as follows:
- Learn about their experiences.
- Discuss your options and strategies.
- Most importantly, is this the lawyer you were looking for to represent your case?
Now that you know what you must be looking to get out of your meeting. Let’s go to the questions you need to be asking.
1. Background And Experience
When you first meet a DUI lawyer, it is important that you have a peek inside their work experience. This will give an insight into how they have been handling their past cases. There are many types of lawyers who specialize in different fields. You need to be looking for lawyers who specialize in DUI cases.
Here are the questions that you can ask them.
- Where did they attend their law school?
- For how long have they been practicing?
- What type of cases do they specialize in?
- How often do they appear in the courthouse?
2. Assessment Of Your Case
Before a DUI attorney can give their verdict in your case, they first need to understand your case. So listen to their question carefully. And answer their questions honestly. After this questioning/answering session, they will have an idea about your situation and will be able to give theory an honest review of your case.
Once this has been completed, you can ask some suggestions by asking the following questions.
- Would they recommend a guilty plea?
- What can you expect from the case?
- What are the factors that might affect the case?
3. Case Management
While talking to the DUI attorney, you will come across the term “Case management.” It is the term used by the attorney that shows how they have handled their past case. It is important for you to know the metric behind the cases. Here metric, we refer to the Win:Loss ratio.
When this conversation pickles up, you can go further by asking these questions.
- Will anybody other than the attorney will work on your case?
- If yes, who will represent your case?
- How often will you get case updates?
4. Legal Fees
Being arrested for DUI can come up with several expenses. For instant:
- Your driving license can be canceled.
- Increased insurance premiums.
- Monetary penalties.
- Even jail time.
While you conclude your meeting, talk about the fee structure of the DUI lawyers. Most layers follow the following:
- Hourly fees.
- Flat fees.
Like all lawyers, a DUI lawyer does not have magic wands and magical crystals to exactly predict the outcome of the case. While they cannot guarantee the outcome, your lawyers need to be knowledgeable enough to cause the case’s potential.
While you are talking about the outcome, be sure to ask these questions.
- Is there a possibility of a plea agreement?
- What are factors that are working in favor and against you?
Facing a DUI can be very unsettling. And this can even go worse if you don’t hire the right DUI attorney for yourself. Knowing which question to ask can help you hire the right lawyers for your case.