Opening a new business is always connected with the question of its promotion. And today the best way to make yourself known is the Internet. This applies not only to online stores that sell goods through the World Wide Web but also to companies that use web resources to talk about products and services, the benefits of cooperation, and new opportunities for potential customers. An important question that asks the owner of a young business, choosing the tools to promote the Internet, is: “Is there enough hosting capacity for the smooth and correct operation of the newly created site?
Indeed, it is important to find an answer to this question even at the stage of launching an electronic business page. And you need to calculate all the prospects, so as not to subsequently overpay the hoster for the transition from one type of hosting to another. Especially since it’s not so easy to do technically.
The easiest and inexpensive option, at first glance, is to rent disk space on shared hosting. This is inexpensive. However, the site owner will have to share all the resources with other tenants. And this is fraught with “collapse” of the website, slow loading pages, and errors. As a worthy alternative to a shared hosting providers often offer a virtual private server – VPS. This service is more expensive. But in this case, the customer does not need to share the possibility of a host with the “neighbors”, because each tenant is provided with a personal capacity. In addition, the owner of the site gets the right to configure the system to his own taste and personal needs. The user gets more control and more guarantees of uninterrupted operation of the site.
All these advantages of VPS over shared hosting are known to every user who has ever once looked into the question. But can a shared personal hosting really help a startup to develop? We offer to find out together with the HostZealot specialists who offer VPS hosting in Europe.
Why VPS hosting is attractive for startups?
So, you plan to create a business and in advance investigate the possibilities of its Internet promotion. As already mentioned, the most logical, at first glance, option – is to put the site on shared hosting. A large server is divided into many isolated environments. One such “cell” is offered to a separate client. He gets access to the administrative panel and hosting staff to ensure the smooth operation of the operating system, the safety of the database, and so on.
But as soon as the site increases traffic, everything begins to “slow down”. After all, the resources allocated to the client from a common “basket” may not be enough to solve the growing problems. Or everything slows down at the “neighbors” because of the growth of traffic of a separate site. And the hoster offers the owner of such a web resource to switch from a basic package to a personal rate, which costs 10 times more expensive. Otherwise, there is a risk of disconnection.
There is another disadvantage of shared hosting – the impossibility of changing personal settings. The client can not install new functionality. He will have to be content with the software and options that have been provided by the service host. The prospect is not bright. That is why more and more business owners, after consultation with specialists, choose VPS hosting.
VPS is a virtual private server, which is rented by several users. And from the general hosting, differs in the fact that each client gets disk space with a clear indication of power and memory. That is, initially, each tenant knows all the possibilities. In this case, the owner of the site should not be afraid of failure and incorrect operation due to the rapid growth of “neighbors” or claims from the hoster’s own growth.
The advantages of VPS hosting can be summarized in the following theses:
- The speed of the web resource directly affects the ranking of the search engines. A good speed of loading pages reduces the bounce rate and increases the conversion rate. VPS provides a high loading speed, and greater stability, whereas these indicators on shared hosting in the “rush hour” can fall.
- Renting disk space on shared hosting is cheaper. However, opportunities for the owner of the site are limited. On the ratio of price to quality VPS services is the best option. The tenant receives more resources, and the functionality is close to the expensive hosting on a dedicated server. This is explained by the fact that all customers, whose sites are located on the server, pay for one physical resource, having its own disk space. And the cost of the service for each client is lower than for tenants of dedicated servers.
- Security and privacy are important parameters for business. Databases located on the VPS host are not available to other tenants of the server. In addition, many providers offer reliable protection from hacker attacks and malicious programs.
- One of the main advantages of VPS is manageability. Tenant chooses the software to use and he gets root access. This feature gives the site owner full control over the virtual server.
Well, it’s time to talk about how VPS hosting can help a promising startup. It is no secret that today if a company is not on the Internet, it is simply not on the market. Even staunch adherents of old marketing campaigns today have given up on the traditions of their ancestors and created websites on the Internet. These are the realities of our time, and there is no escaping them. And if you have to spend money to write the code, to put it on the host, it’s better to choose the best price to features ratio. And a little earlier we have already explained, in what a virtual private server wins from shared hosting.
- Even if you’re just starting out, you should always have a perspective. You do believe that your site will become extremely popular, don’t you? And no shared hosting can handle traffic surges better than a VPS. More scalability. In the case of VPS, you can upgrade resources along with the growth of the site. This feature is not available on shared hosting.
- The speed of loading pages – is an important criterion for search engines, as well as the correct operation of the site. A slow website will not contribute to a brand’s reputation. The more traffic, the more resources the site needs to work correctly. And on shared hosting, your resources are not just limited, they depend on “neighbors.”
- Individuality. In the case of a virtual private server, you choose your own software, and applications that will help you win your audience. If you buy disk space on a shared server, be prepared to accept the “terms of the game”, which dictate the hoster.
So, shared hosting is suitable if you are not expecting an increase in traffic. For example, you have created a business card site, on the page which prescribed your physical contacts and basic information. In this case, the literate SEO promotion will help you to appear in the search engine results. But since your site does not provide for the active actions of visitors to the page, then the growth of traffic and conversions should not be expected. Calmly rent space on a shared server. Your site and shared hosting will do their job.
If you plan to actively sell through the site, if you intend to connect the feedback option and in general intend to develop an electronic resource, it is better to choose immediately VPS-hosting. In this case, your opportunities will be much wider, and the prospects – rosier.