Electrical faults in the home are probably the worst kind of problem to have in the home. A large number of house fires – more than 28,000 – in the USA annually are caused by electrical faults. Electrical faults also cause a lot of deaths and over $700 million worth of property damage.
The thing about electrical faults is they are hard to detect. Even when homeowners know there is a problem with the electrical systems, pinpointing its source is hard because most of the wiring is hidden inside the walls of the home.
This is why you should stay on top of all issues with your home’s electrical system. Taylor St Management Company says most electrical problems can be prevented if you know how to identify the early signs of trouble. To help you with this here is a list of the common signs of electrical problems in the home.
The signs of faulty electrical wiring in the home
Noticeably damaged wiring
Frayed wires or wires with bite marks not only pose a risk of electric shock, but they can short circuit and start fires or damage your appliances. Bite marks are easy to overlook because the damage looks superficial.
Damaged wires of any kind should be replaced as soon as possible. You would be courting disaster if you failed to do this. Also, address the cause of the damage to the wires: pets, or pests chewing on them.
Scorch marks and discoloration
If wires are burning inside the walls, they will sometimes show as scorch marks on the surface. If you notice browned-out spots in parts of the home, you can suspect burning wires.
This problem will only happen if the wires have bridged and become very hot; it should be dealt with urgently. Scorching may also appear on wall switches and power outlets. Replacing the switch or outlet does not solve the problem; finding the cause of the damage.
Fuses blowing repeatedly
The fuses in devices and the circuit breaker in your home are there to protect your belongings from power surges and other kinds of electrical faults. If you replace a blown fuse, only for the problem to happen again, there is an underlying problem you need to uncover.
The same applies to the circuit breaker. If the breaker keeps tripping, it could be a warning sign that you have a major problem. Take heed of these warnings and get a professional to look over your home’s electrical systems.
Messy wiring is not an electrical fault in itself, but it can contribute to electrical problems
in your home. That is because when wires are not properly arranged, they can kink and get pinched.
This increases the risk of fire and other kinds of damage. This problem is not limited to the home’s wiring; it also applies to extension cords. Extension cords create additional points where faults can develop in the home’s electrical system.
Excessively hot power outlets and switch plates
Electricity will naturally generate heat when it passes through an object. It is normal for appliances to get warm when they are working. This is also expected when a switch plate is on or you have something plugged into a power outlet. What is abnormal is if the appliance, switch plate, or power outlet is burning hot. This problem can also happen even when an outlet is not in use.
The electrical systems in your home typically do not make any sounds when they are working. You normally don’t hear the sound of electricity flowing through the home. But when you start hearing buzzing or sparking sounds, you may be sure there is a problem. Buzzing sounds happen when there are frayed wires, broken outlets, or some other problem that causes the current to jump.
Strange odors are normal the first time you use a new appliance. But a persistent smell of burning plastic, rubber, or metal means there is a problem. This happens a lot with power outlets and the problem is often accompanied by scorch marks. It is also likely that you will only notice the smell when you use certain appliances. If there is a burning smell in your home, get an electrician to check the electrical system.
Flickering or dimming lights
Flickering or dimming lights can happen as a result of any of the above problems. A flickering light might be accompanied by a buzzing sound, but this is not always so.
If the lights in your home are flickering, particularly after replacing the bulbs, it is a confirmation that there is a problem with the wiring. Lights will also flicker if they are sharing an outlet with an appliance that uses a lot of power.
Mold and mildew marks on the walls
This is one of the most overlooked signs of electrical faults in the home. Mold and mildew only grow if there is excessive moisture in the area. Damp will create the perfect conditions for electrical faults to develop.
This is because water is a good conductor of electricity and it can interfere with the electrical circuit. If there are marks of mold and mildew on the walls, there is a high possibility of an electrical fault in the home.
Leave a Reply