The components are attached to the circuit boards using the soldering techniques. Soldering is the method in which two or more electronic parts are connected to a connection. Solder is a metal allow that creates a strong connection between two things by melting solder. A solder pad is the part of a printed circuit board or better known as a PCB. In PCB, the pins are components that hold certain components such as chips and transistors. When a device break or the components get detached from the board, it can damage the solder pads.
What to do when a solder pad gets broken?
You can fix solder pads by using some techniques and equipment. Users need to be proficient when using solder pads. It is quite easy to fix the broken solder pads. You need to gather the things that are required to fix a broken solder pad. The material you will need to fix the broken solder pads are listed below.
- Safe ESD cutting surface
- X-Acto knife
- ESD safe Kapton tape
- Epoxy resin hardener
- Circuit frame
- Liny-free cloth
- Isopropyl alcohol and wipes
- Microscope of a magnifying glass
Procedure to fix the broken solder pad
After you have collected the things, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps to fix a broken solder. So let us get started.
- The first step that you need to follow to fix a broken solder pad is that you need to clean the damaged solder pad with isopropyl alcohol and dry the area by using a lint-free cloth.
- The second step is to remove the damaged pad. You can use an X-Acto knife to remove the damaged pad.
- You will need to clean the area under and around the damaged pad. You should remove the damaged or burnt area.
- You can use a toothpick to remove the remaining solder mask and make the conductor clean.
- Clean the area by using isopropyl alcohol. Follow up by using a lint-free cloth.
- You need to tin the conductor are by using the suitable solder alloy on which the conductor is to be attached.
- Select the most suitable circuit frame by using an X-Acto knife and cut a new conductor from the suitable circuit frame.
- After this, you will have to tin the new solder pad. The solder pad is to be overlapped with the actual trace. You can use a suitable amount of epoxy and hardener on PCB.
- Use Kapton tape to place the replaced solder pad. You can use a suitable solder alloy to make an overlapping joint.
- Clamp the new solder pad and cure the pad. Once the solder pad is cured, you can clean the trace and remove the clamp. This is the best time to run an instant electrical continuity test. After you have checked everything, you can envelop the edges of the new trace.